Alexandria Central School District

Home of the Purple Ghosts

Parents & Guardians

As the New Year is fast approaching, your cafeteria staff would like to wish everyone a very happy & healthy New Year.

As a reminder, on line payments and monitoring may be done by going to

If at any time during the school year your income changes, a free/reduced lunch application can be completed. These applications can be found on our cafeteria website or one can be sent home.  If your child/children qualify for free or reduced lunch, they also qualify for the same at breakfast.

Earlier in the school year we asked the students to do a cafeteria survey, we received some interesting responses. We were able to fulfill some of the students’ requests, while still staying within the new guidelines for the National School Lunch Program.

At any time, you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.


Anne Remington

ACS Cafeteria Manager

315-482-9971 extension 9

315-482-9973 fax


  1. Who can get free meals? All children in households receiving benefits from food stamps, the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations or TANF, can get free meals regardless of your income. Also, your children can get free meals if your household’s gross income is within the free limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines.
  2. Can foster children get free meals?  Yes, foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court, are eligible for free meals.  Any foster child in the household is eligible for free meals regardless of income.
  3. Can homeless, runaway, and migrant children get free meals? Yes, children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant qualify for free meals.  If you haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call or e-mail the following person to see if they qualify:

Kevin Durr, Homeless Liaison Coordinator

34 Bolton Avenue

Alexandria Bay, New York 13607

315-482-9971, ext. 3070


  1. Who can get reduced price meals?  Your children can get low cost meals if your household income is within the reduced price limits on the Federal Eligibility Income Chart, shown on this application.  
  2. Should I fill out an application if I received a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free meals?  Please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions.  Call the school at 315-482-9971, ext. 9 if you have questions.  
  3. My Child’s application was approved last year.  Do I need to fill out another one?  Yes.  Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school year.  You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year. 
  4. I Get Wic.  Can my child(ren) get free meals?  Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals.  Please fill out a FREE/REDUCED PRICE MEAL application.
  5. Will the information I give be checked? Yes and we may also ask you to send written proof.
  6. If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later? Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year.  For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.
  7. What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application? You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to the school district office at Alexandria Central School.
  1. May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen? Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be U.S. citizens to qualify for free or reduced price meals. 
  2. Who should I include as members of my household? You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends) who share income and expenses. You must include yourself and all children living with you.  If you live with other people who are economically independent (for example, people who you do not support, who do not share income with you or your children, and who pay a pro-rated share of expenses), do not include them.
  3. What if my income is not always the same? List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1000 per month.  If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes.  If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.
  4. We are in the military. Do we include our housing allowance as income? If you get an off-base housing allowance, it must be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income.
  5. My spouse is deployed to a combat zone.  Is her combat pay counted as income?  No, if the combat pay is received in addition to her basic pay because of her deployment and it wasn’t received before she was deployed, combat pay is not counted as income.  Contact your school for more information.
  6. My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for? To find out how to apply for food stamps or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or call 1-800-342-3009.

 Eligibility Guidlines for 2016-2017 - click here